Our experienced lemon law attorneys will fight to maximize your recovery
Have repeated attempts to fix a particular problem with your vehicle failed? You may have a lemon on your hands. The good news is, California has one of the strongest lemon laws of any state in the US, and at Perlmutter & Pourshalimi we know how to take advantage of it. As your lemon law attorney, we will fight for you receive a full refund, a replacement car, or a significant cash settlement from the manufacturer as your case may require.
Who Is Covered Under California’s Lemon Law?
California’s lemon law applies to both new and used vehicles that were:
- Purchased from a dealer,
- Covered by a warranty, and
- Subject to repeat problems that were not fixed after a reasonable number of repairs
As long as your vehicle is having problems covered by its warranty, California lemon law applies, no matter how old your vehicle is or how many miles are on the odometer.
What If My Vehicle is Out of Warranty?
It is important to note that your vehicle does not have to be under warranty right now in order to file a lemon law claim. If you brought the problems to the attention of the dealer during the warranty period and they repeatedly failed to fix those problems, you are still covered.
What About Vehicles Used for Business?
California Lemon Law applies to vehicles used primarily for business purposes, so long as your business has no more than five vehicles registered in the business’ name, and your vehicle’s “Gross Vehicle Weight” does not exceed 10,000 pounds. “Gross Vehicle Weight” means the total weight of the vehicle, not the total weight your vehicle could carry.
How Many Repair Attempts Does It Take to Make a Lemon?
At least two. There is no magic number of repairs required to qualify. California lemon law only requires a “reasonable number” of repair attempts for a specific problem. What constitutes a “reasonable number” of repair attempts depends on the nature of the specific problem your vehicle has.
If a dealer has tried and failed to repair your car, TAKE IT BACK AGAIN. Not taking your car to the dealership or certified repair facility can create the illusion that your vehicle has been fixed. The manufacturer’s attorneys could argue that since you went months without bringing your vehicle in for a repair, there must be nothing wrong with your vehicle and your vehicle was successfully repaired.
Do I Really Need a Lemon Law Attorney?
Yes. It is in your best interest to obtain legal representation since most of the time, manufacturers fight lemon law claims made by individual consumers. Auto manufacturers will almost always severely low-ball a settlement offer to an individual consumer who files a claim without an experienced lemon law lawyer. Additionally, there are many accepted principles of law that only an experienced lemon law attorney would know how to take full advantage of.
Can I Afford a Lemon Law Attorney?
Yes. In California, the auto manufacturer is required to pay your attorneys’ fees and costs. Plus, Perlmutter & Pourshalimi takes these cases on a “contingency fee” basis, which means we only get paid if you win. If we don’t win, we don’t get paid at all. Period. This makes pursuing a lemon law claim economically feasible for those who otherwise couldn’t afford a lemon law attorney.
Three Reasons to Contact Us Now
- The longer you wait to get your vehicle fixed, the sooner your warranty runs out. Your vehicle’s manufacturer wants your warranty to expire so they can argue that it’s too late to lemon your vehicle. You need to contact us now so we can advise you as to whether you need to seek additional warranty repairs before the warranty expires.
- The longer you wait, the longer it takes for the manufacturer to process your claim. The sooner you contact us, the sooner your claim will be processed and the sooner you will be driving a new vehicle.
- We can begin your lemon law claim while your vehicle is at the dealership or certified repair facility. In a lemon lawsuit, you sue the car’s manufacturer and not the dealership or certified repair facility who is trying to fix your vehicle. That means you have nothing to lose if you start your claim today. If your vehicle is a lemon, odds are that it will not be successfully repaired if it hasn’t been by now.